From Our News Partner:
SINCE 9/11 recognises the difficulties around teaching such sensitive subjects, and has underlined its commitment to teaching young people about the World Trade Center attacks, so that the victims are never forgotten, and to help prevent future atrocities.
Sixteen years on from the attacks, SINCE 9/11 is launching a number of initiatives to reach more people than ever before. This year, for the first time, SINCE 9/11 will be offering young people the once in a lifetime opportunity to hear directly from a British 9/11 survivor, and to ask questions about the experience.
Not only this, but SINCE 9/11 is once again working with UCL’s Institute of Education to deliver a range of Primary school resources, to support teachers in discussing current events with young children. As the only UK charity dedicated to the 9/11 attacks, SINCE 9/11 has also launched a short animated film on their work in order to highlight the importance of education on the attacks.
SINCE 9/11 seeks to support teachers across the country in tackling this controversial subject area, with free resources and workshops which will facilitate proper and rigorous discussion of terrorism; building resilience among children and young people to the lure of extremism in the process. Recent attacks in the UK and Europe a stark reminder of the importance of education in the fight against terrorism.
Speaking on the programme, SINCE 9/11 Director, Liam Duffy, said: “In 2017 we are at a crucial turning point, whereby every young person heading into their GCSEs this year and below wasn’t yet born when the 9/11 attacks took place – truly the day the world turned upside down. It is our duty to ensure not only that that atrocity is never forgotten, but that we do our utmost as a society to prevent future atrocities. Giving students the chance to hear from somebody who lived through those terrible events adds an invaluable human aspect to the story, as we foster a generation ready to stand up to terrorism and violence.”
- More details of our work, access to our resources and workshop bookings can be found on our website http://www.since911.com
- Since 9/11 is a UK Educational Charity teaching young people about 9/11 and how terrorism affects us today, to build resilience to future atrocities.
- Schools can book free workshops through our website.
- Since 9/11 has created a short animated film to raise awareness of our education programme – See Link Here.
- Since 9/11 erected a piece of steel recovered from the World Trade Center to be situated in Olympic Park, London as a commemorative artwork dedicated to the victims of 9/11. This steel was donated to London by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and is open to the public.