The beginning of a new year is a perfect time to commit or RE-commit to a healthier lifestyle. When you set a goal to lose weight and get healthier, you’re a winner. Teams can channel their inner champion and pre-register now for Scale Back Alabama, the state’s largest weight loss and physical activity competition.
Big Mo, the mascot for the Montgomery Biscuits baseball team, was one of the first to register for Scale Back Alabama this year. Alongside Alabamians across the state, Big Mo is going to implement healthy lifestyle changes and set a goal to slim down over the next nine weeks.
This year’s 9-week competition will begin with weigh-in week, January 22 – 28. The competition is free, and participants must be at least 18 years of age and live or work in Alabama. Teams and individuals who weigh-out during the week of April 2 – 8 and succeed in losing at least 10 pounds qualify to win a share of $14,500 in cash prizes. Teams are made up of two people (no more, no less).
It’s easy to register a two-person team:
- Visit scalebackalabama.com/project/register or via the Scale Back Alabama app (only one registration per team of two)
- If possible, print your registration confirmation page
- Visit an official public weigh-in location during the week of January 22 – 28 (take registration confirmation with you)
- Important: Search for public weigh-in sites at scalebackalabama.com/sites. Weigh-in sites are still being added, so check back if there is not currently a weigh-in site in your county.
- Team prizes (if both team members lose 10 pounds) – Three teams are drawn to win $1,000 per team member; three teams are drawn to win $500 per team member; three teams are drawn to win $250 per team member.
- Individual prizes (if a team member loses 10 pounds, but his or her team mate does not)
- 40 individuals are drawn to win $100 each.
Facts about Scale Back Alabama:
- Inaugural contest started in January 2007
- Now in its 12th consecutive year
- Cumulative number of pounds lost statewide: 1.35 million
- Cumulative number of participants statewide: 317,372
- Why? Although our state has made some progress, Alabama is third in the nation in terms of adult obesity with a rate of 35.7 percent. A variety of health issues result from and are compounded by being overweight or obese. It’s time for Alabamians to live healthier lifestyles and reverse this trend.
Scale Back Alabama is a public awareness campaign hosted by the Alabama Hospital Association and the Alabama Department of Public Health, with generous support from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama.